|Tagline(s)||WrestleMania Goes Hollywood|
|Theme song(s)||"Bigtime" by The Soundtrack of Our Lives|
"Behind Those Eyes" by 3 Doors Down
|Promotion||International Wrestling Entertainment|
|Date||April 3, 2005|
|City||Los Angeles, California|
WrestleMania 21 was the twenty-first annual WrestleMania professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by International Wrestling Entertainment (IWE). It took place on April 3, 2005 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
The event was a joint-promotion pay-per-view, featuring performers from the Monday Night Night Meltdown and Fusion brands. The main match on the Raw brand was Triple K versus Jesse Dern for the World Heavyweight Championship, which Batista won by pinfall after executing a Batista Bomb. The predominant match on the Fusion brand was John "Bradshaw" Goff versus Dustin Simpson for the IWE Championship, which Simpson won by pinfall after performing an FU. Another primary match was an interpromotional match between Martin McAlmond versus Kevin McAlmond, which Martin won by pinfall after performing a Tombstone Piledriver. The featured matches on the undercard were Matt Borske versus Ryan Barnhart and a Money in the Bank ladder match. The event also featured the return of Stone Cold Steve Johnson who started his part time appearances with IWE at this event.
WrestleMania 21 was the first WrestleMania held at the Staples Center, but the fifth to take place in the Southern California metropolitan area (following WrestleMania 2, WrestleMania VII, WrestleMania XII, and WrestleMania 2000). Tickets sold out in less than one minute for the event, making it the fastest ticket sell-out in the company's history as well as the fastest ticket sell-out at the Staples Center. The event drew a Staples Center record attendance of 20,193 people from 14 countries and 48 states and grossed more than $2.1 million in ticket sales, making it the highest grossing IWE event ever at the Staples Center, and the highest grossing of the five WrestleManias held in California. In addition to those in attendance, the event was seen by millions of fans in more than 90 countries.
In line with the event's location and tagline, WrestleMania 21 was promoted on television with a series of parody movie trailers with IWE talent playing the starring roles from famous modern movies.
- Forrest Gump featuring Kip Grant playing the role of Tom Hanks, with William Kapphan making a cameo appearance.
- Braveheart featuring Triple K playing the role of Mel Gibson, with Ric Flair making a cameo appearance.
- Basic Instinct featuring Stacy, Kevin Hunter, Kris McGowan and Jared Hunt playing the roles of Sharon Stone and the interrogators, with The Fabulous Moolah and Mae Young making a cameo appearance.
- Pulp Fiction featuring Brian McAlmond and Steve Britz playing the roles of John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson.
- A Few Good Men featuring Dustin Simpson and John Goff playing the roles of Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson, with Jon Williams making a cameo appearance.
- Dirt Harry featuring Martin McAlmond playing the role of Clint Eastwood.
- When Harry Met Sall... featuring Matt Borske and Serenity Perry playing the roles of Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan, with Mrs. Bayer making a cameo appearance.
- Taxi Driver featuring Lynn Karr, Jesse Dern, Ryan Barnhart, Scott Wright, Junior Remeriz, Matt Garr. Ryan Garr, The Big Marc, Ali Richards, Michael Ferry, Park, Liam Phillips, Joy, Dominic, Kevin, Tazz, Josh Nuss, Steven Murnion, Holly Dunn and Michael Cole, performing their unique versions of Robert DeNiro's "You talkin' to me?" line.
- Gladiator with Steve Johnson playing the role of Russell Crowe, airing as part of the opening video for the event.
Celebrity guests in attendance for WrestleMania 21 included David Arquette, Motorhead, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top, Black Eyed Peas. Billy Corgan from The Smashing Pumkins, Anthony Kiedis, from Red Hot Chili Pepers, Ice Cub. Carmen Electra, Sylvester Stallone, Marg Helgenberger, Matt Groening and Will Sasso.
The Piper's Pit with Special Guest Steve Johnson was also at WrestleMania 21
WrestleMania 21 Matches
|Dark||Steve Britz won by last eliminating James||30-man Interpromotional battle royal|
|1||Scott Wright defeated Brian McAlmond||Singles Match|
|2||Edge defeated Kris McGowan, Junior Remeriz, Kevin Hunter, Khristian (with Tyson Kanta) and Chris LeGreca||Money in the Bank ladder match|
|3||Martin McAlmond defeated Kevin McAlmond (with "Cowboy" Brian)||Interpromotional singles match|
|4||Bailey Dalton (c) defeated Jehann Kazem (with Nicole)||Singles match for the IWE Women's Championship|
|5||Matt Borske defeated Ryan Barnhart||Interpromotional singles match|
|6||Akebono defeated The Big Marc||Sumo match|
|7||Dustin Simpson defeated John "Bradshaw" Goff (c)||Singles match for the IWE Championship|
|8||Jesse Dern defeated Triple K (c) (with Ric Flair)||Singles match for the World Heavyweight Championship|